Thursday, March 1, 2012

Dressing up a small kitchen

Our house has a really small kitchen. Not a huge deal to me because I would rather be about doing anything other than cooking. It is like creating a beautiful project and then having someone eat it. When the economy was better my favorite thing to make for dinner was reservations. That being said, when we were looking at houses I thought this house had the cutest little galley kitchen. For me, cute is huge. But being that it was already cute, I hadn't added my own personal touches to it which is what I am working on now.

Here is how it looked before I started my small projects...


Here it is now...


I think these small changes have done a lot..even though I have many more ideas for this kitchen to add to the "cuteness factor".

I had wanted to make it look something like I had a window over the sink. I have always had a window over my kitchen sink and in this house it is not possible. The other side of the kitchen is the garage. Believe me I don't want to look in there anymore than I have too!  I had this old green mirror that looks kind of like a window and so I decided to put that there. But it reflected the refrigerator, which wasn't very interesting so I took out the mirror, put in a piece of glass and a picture taken last year on the front porch. I figure I can change the picture with the seasons. Of course I painted it white too. I like it!


Then I wanted to cover that awful light. At first I wanted to get a new light...but then I realized I could cover it with a little curtain. I put a tension rod up and made a little valance. I got the fabric at Walmart--super cheap. You get what you pay for..I didn't know fabric could be such poor quality. I think I will make a new valance when I find another fabric I love and maybe make it a tad bit longer. Otherwise I love the fabric idea--it hides the light perfectly!

Then I had seen this lace on glass cabinet doors on another blog. I loved the look. So the blogger was nice enough to let me know she has since changed hers but she told me how she had done it, and how she thought would be a better way. 

So I got together the supplies...


Then I made sure the inside of the glass was nice and clean..


 I cut pieces of lace to fit..paying attention to how I wanted to have the pattern show.  I started at the top and made a line of hot glue. I secured the top and after it was cooled I stretched it to the bottom, hot glued that, and then did the sides. What is great about this is when I decide I'm tired of it the hot glue will peel off the glass.



I really like this too! I think this would be great for people who have a lot of glass doored cabinets and don't want everyone to see what is in them. In my case, everything inside is pretty, I just love lace.

So someday I really want to change out the knobs and handles for blue crystal ones. Wouldn't that be so pretty? But even for a small kitchen you need a lot of knobs and handles, so I'll wait on that one.



I still love my cottage kitchen sign that I got years ago on e-bay so I put that on the other side of the kitchen.


Isn't my Ball jar dishwashing soap dispenser cute? Thanks to my husband for drilling the hole in the top!


I don't let much get hung on the refrigerator because I hate clutter..but Chantel thought this quiz deserved a spot on the refrigerator for awhile and I agreed...



Last night about 1am I let the dogs out and they came back in, giving me a dirty look like, "How would you like it if your bathroom was outside?" and they were covered in snow! I wasn't expecting it. The kids got to go to school 2 hours late..we love a couple hours of extra sleep at this house!


Thanks for visiting!

32 comments:

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Your curtain valence over the sink is very pretty, and the lace on the cabinet is the perfect touch. I love your white and blue colr scheme.

rkbsnana said...

How sweet.

GARAGE SALE GAL said...

Very nice after. I have a small galley kitchen also...I wish I had a bigger ktichen as I enjoy baking and cooking...oh well. I do have a window above my sink and your "faux" one is great. Love that you can see the season "changes'!
deb

CEO Lisa Anne - L.A said...

Your kitchen is very pretty and I love all your changes...your lace in the cabinet is gorgeous. Thanks for sharing.

Lisa

Unknown said...

Your little kitchen transformation made a HUGE impact. VERY cute. I love the fabric that you chose. :)

~Liz

Heirloom treasures said...

Sandy you did a wonderful job,I love your kitchen and brilliant ideas
xx jeanetteann

theromanticrose said...

Proprio carina e dolce la tua cucina!Buona giornata,Rosetta

Latane Barton said...

now that is just the dandiest kitchen ever. Cute curtain. Yes, you have to watch Wal-Mart about their fabric. In fact, Wal-Mart where I live no longer carries fabric. Probably a good thing. (grin)

Grandma Carolee said...

Love the new decor for your kitchen! You have such good ideas, and the skills to make them.

Congratulations to Chantel for an EXCELLENT paper!

Lucille said...

So ingenious what you've done! Fantastic that window/mirror with the changing seasons. When you decide to change the fabric for your valance, perhaps you could make a lace valance to match the lace in the doors! Blue crystal handles would be perfect. I did not even know they existed! Thank you for the tutorial!

Lady Pamela said...

You are right, it IS a cute kitchen. I have to tell you, when I go blog hopping, I usually just look at the photos. But your blog - I read every word. I learn so much. I have a little tip about the door pulls. Michael's has some at times and in Canada we have a store called HomeSense that also has a few. In the US it is known by another name. Marshall's and one other, sorry can't think of it right now. Not much help. Anyway, have fun looking for them.

farmhouse-story said...

such a sweet kitchen, sandy:) i esp. love the lace on the cabinet doors, and your pretty floral sign!

yay, chantel!--that paper looks greek to me:)

Nann said...

LOVE hOW you did the lace in the upper windows. You've inspired me once again because I have a couple of places I could do that very thing in and they would look so much better. But the whole mini makeover looks great. I LOVE how your husband drilled a hole in the mason lid. What a clever and useful idea. Another one I want to use. Thanks for all the inspiration. Love to come here!!!

Hugs,

Nann

Poppy @ With a Dash of Color said...

Such a pretty kitchen! I love white cabinets in a kitchen! The lacey door panels add a vintage quality and I love them! I have a weakness for blue mason jars and your soap dispenser looks sooo pretty! Cute valance over your sink top:)Lovely post! Thanks for letting us take a peek at your kitchen and for your sweet thoughts on my book accents! Have a great weekend!~Poppy

Honey at 2805 said...

What a sweet change! Thank you for sharing at Potpourri Friday at 2805!

Kristin @ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia said...

Love the changes expecially the valance!
XO
Kristin

beachcomber said...

cute kitchen! i love your white kettle and the touches of blue.
x

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Loves adorable!! Love it!!

Hugs,
Debbie

Tablescapes By Diane said...

Hi lovely lady.
Your Kitchen looks Beautiful""I would like to thank you so much for your sweet comment on my new St.Patrick's Day Tablescape. If you follow me on Linky Follows I will follow you back. I hope you have a wonderful weekend with your family.
XXOO Diane

Olivia said...

Hello sweetie! I simply adore your darling kitchen! Oh and that cottage sign is just deelish! The window is creative and charming!
Have a beautiful and blessed weekend!
xo
Olivia

Anonymous said...

What great little changes! That little valance to cover the light is a great idea and love the lace idea for the glass! I wish my kitchen looked as pretty and CLEAN! I can't seem to get anything looking clean around here lately-

bee blessed
mary

elizabeth said...

I love your little white kitchen, which is actually bigger than my wee little white kitchen!

Jacqueline said...

What clever ideas! I just love the framed picture and the lace on the windows is so clever and you are right - it would be so easy to change out!

Angela said...

Your kitchen is very light and pretty. All your changes are lovely
and so is the lace in the cabinet.
My kitchen is boring brown with black tops, yuk!
Thanks for visiting my blog.
Hugs,
Angela.

Something Nice and Pretty said...

I love the lace on the cabinet doors and the valance, great ideas! I'm like you, I do not like to bake or cook, I'd much rather be doing something else...like decorating:)
I'm your newest Linky Follower too!
Hope you will stop by when you have a second! Visting from 2805!

Rondell

Robin Boyd Jackson said...

Oh lady I love all the white on white. So peaceful!
Thanks for visiting my blog . . . now I am wondering how a gold chair will work with WHITE.

~ robin

itsrobinwithani.com

Cynthia Patterson said...

I love it..... I just came from your daughters blog.....the apple didn't fall far from the tree.....great job.

Blessings,
Cindy♥

Blooming Rose Musings said...

The transformation is amazing. Your kitchen looks wonderful. I love the lace on the cabinet windows and you are so clever to add the "window" and change out the picture of the season. The valance was another great idea. Your kitchen looks fabulous!

Susan EvelynAndRose said...

Great transformation here! The lace looks pretty. :)

Passionate for White said...

Your small changes made a huge difference....SO pretty!

Pam Kessler said...

The lace in the cabinet doors is genius. So pretty!

lisal said...

The principle effectiveness of a residential look that can assist you always keep, ready yourself as well as cause portions diet regime as well as in order to perform like undertakings as with dishwashing.best instant coffee consumer reports