Wednesday, March 14, 2012

A flower to brighten my day

I am a true Oregonian. I love the rain. It is refreshing, it makes everything green. I truly enjoy it.  But this weather is getting ridiculous! The dogs don't want to go out. I have my back fence being held up by a ladder. My daffodils are drowning. This is usually flip flop time of the year for me! This wind is making it almost impossible for my Mom and I to walk..as we get carried away (literally) by our umbrellas.
 
The other day the kids and I were at Fred Meyers. I saw this flower for $2.50 and I had to get it. It is a Ranunculus. Last year I bought one and totally killed it. I swear it said "full sun"--this one says  "partial shade". Maybe that was the problem.


My daughter, Chantel, said "Mom, you don't have money for that --put it back". (Chantel at 13 believes she is in charge of everything that goes on in our house) So I said "you are right, I don't  have a flower budget right now, but this isn't that much". As I proceeded to dig change out of the bottom of my purse I know Chantel wanted to crawl in a hole and hide. I am a firm believer that being embarrassed by your Mom builds character. Chantel has a lot of character!


You know, I find if you don't buy these sweet light pink ones when they first come into the stores then all I am ever able to find is the reds, yellows, oranges..they are pretty but I am a light pink kind of girl. I am really tempted to go back and get a white one too.


Since a ladder and a tree seem to be the only thing keeping our back fence up..I am seeing fence building in my husbands future.



I just keep thinking of what projects I could make with old fence boards--

Thanks for visiting!

13 comments:

Holly Loves Art said...

Such a pretty posy! I'm so sorry you are getting so drenched... send some our way! I am thrilled that we will finally be getting some rain over the weekend. We need it so badly (Los Angeles). The only thing I dread is dealing with a happy little white doggie who actualy loves the rain. I never had a dog who loved it so much.

Hang in there!
Holly

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

Very pretty flower. You and I are on the same page with old fence boards. I've been contemplating multiple projects with mine.

rkbsnana said...

I too feel embarrassing your children builds character...and weren't we all embarrassed by mom from time to time?

FRENCH LAUNDRY said...

LOVE that ranunculus. Send some rain our way. We are so dry this year...love the thought of what to do with the old fence boards. That's what you call seeing the glass half full!

Hugs,
Judy

Judy Biggerstaff said...

Beautiful flower, I just looked at one today at a shop but couldn't remember the name of it. Hope it goes well and not too much sun. Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a message.

Lucille said...

Hi! Pretty flower! Go back and get yourself the white one. The pink one is lonely! Don't you think? I just googled what you can do with old fence boards and there are a lot of projects out there, like a table, a sort of potting table with shelves, a bird house, a raised garden, etc. Just go take a look!

Shanon at Vintage Sparkle Chic said...

I love the ranunculus they are so beautiful. I always pick some up every year, too. I find they really like the cool weather, once it warms up they fade away. Last year, I put a few in my front flower bed and the next morning the deer had eaten all of the flowers!
That fence looks like it may have a lot of fun boards for you!

~Shanon

Heirloom treasures said...

Very pretty. I had to have a chuckle about Chantel. I also love the rain,we had a storm yesterday,it was lovely.

xx jeanetteann

Nann said...

Oh Sandy do you know that I just love you to death. You are so real and just make me laugh. I have been told by my teenage daughters to please not embarrass them. Oh how they have embarrsed me a good many times. (smile) When I turned 50 my 8 year old would introduce me as.....This is my mother....she's 50. And then just laugh and laugh she thought she was so funny. Never my name just my age. I remind her that I hope to live long enough to do the same favor for her when she turns 50. (Big big smile) And I love your little flower. It makes me feel better to know that there are other bloggers whom I think are perfect in all they do that too kill off plants. And you just endeared me to my heart...hook line and sinker when you had to rummage through your purse for the change. I did that very thing for a grand daughter this morning. It just tickles my funny bone. We as moms and grandmoms are so much alike in so many things but just never know it.

Thanks for the fun post. I just loved it and SO related to it.

Hugs,

Nann

Grandma Carolee said...

What a positive way of seeing the old fence...something new to make. I hope all of the neighbors agree to building a new fence...you need to be able to keep those little doggies in the yard.

I don't like wind & rain together, and am so looking forward to walking without umbrellas, working in the yard, and enjoying beautiful flowers.

Anonymous said...

Love snap our your flower and how exciting to be thinking of fun things to make from your fence boards. Thank you so much for popping in to see me.
be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Anonymous said...

I love mom's that build character! I also think this is the prettiest pink flower! I know your mind is spinning about fence wood projects! Mine would be too!

Abbie said...

Oh, that flower IS gorgeous!

Visiting from the Networking Blog Hop and loving what I'm seeing.

I'm a new follower and would love for you to stop by for a visit! : )

~Abbie (www.fivedaysfiveways.com)