Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Transformation to White

I got this gold tree at Goodwill, my daughter had gotten the same tree a couple weeks before and I insisted she take it because I knew it would look so good in her "mantle top forest".(even though I think I liked it better than she did ) But secretly I really wanted it myself. So imagine my delight when I found it once again at my favorite store, Goodwill. Then later I found a beautiful deer to go with it at Thrift City for 90 cents!  When I got them they looked like this...
 As you can probably tell the deer is gold leafed. I almost left it as is because it was actually quite beautiful. But then I thought again and realized I only paid 90 cents for it so I didn't need to feel any guilt for "ruining" the pretty gold leafing.  So the transformation began and I couldn't be more happy--
I painted them white and then spray them with spray glue and sprinkled glitter all over them. I think they are so lovely! I was just thrilled when the paint cracked--it looks so beautiful.


I made a little riser for the tree to help with the scale between the two. I don't know why I love that tree so much--it is charming I think. I always wonder why some things really appeal to some people. These 2 are going to be part of my table centerpiece for December.
So I am starting to get a little stressed about everything I need to do for thanksgiving. I don't want to be that way so I am going to sit down, have a hot chocolate and make a list of what needs to be done--because that should help me not stress and just get it done. I had a nice telephone conversation with my Dad today and I hadn't talked to him for awhile so that was nice. That is the kind of thing that is important. Thanksgiving dinner being perfect is not that important. Sometimes I need to have a talk with my perfectionist side and remind myself of that.

How are your Christmas planning going? Anybody have their shopping/crafting done?
All I have to say is I think Santa Clause is coming to town way to soon...I'm not ready!

15 comments:

Bunny Jean said...

Oh Sandy, don't stress! You are so right to remember what the coming holiday season is all about! But I do understand since you still have kids at home that your days are never ending.

You are so lucky to get these cute items at the GW. Of course they look So much better not that you painted them your signature WHITE!

Thanks for sharing at my party!

xoxo Bunny Jean
Wednesday's Bunny Hop Party!

FABBY'S LIVING said...

Beautiful deer! I love how you fixed your home up, so lovely. Yeah like Bunny says, don't distress, take it light, children grow sooo fast and you wished they were still yung. Your daughter is adorable with that big cat! Happy Thanksgiving. FABBY

Mimi said...

Your deer and tree look so wonderful with the white paint and glitter!I love deer and will keep my eye out for one at Goodwill! Thanks for sharing at Bunny Hop Party

Francie...The Scented Cottage Studio said...

great finds and you made them even more beautiful !
No Christmas shopping done yet...will do it all next week
No stress over the holidays because it is all about enjoying the family and friends...you are right to have a cup of hot chocolate and relax it will all be wonderful !
(())

Katie @ Wildwood Creek said...

The deer and tree are beautiful! It looks like a winter wonderland.

Cindy Adkins said...

Gorgeous!! I was just at my Goodwill today looking for deer! I didn't have any luck, though! This is exactly what I wanted to do...paint them white. I haven't even seen any in the gift shops, etc. (although they would be way too expensive there!) I just love the way your deer and tree turned out. I'm following you now!
Happy Thanksgiving! (and don't get too stressed...take some quiet time to relax!)
Cindy

rkbsnana said...

The paint and glitter fits you better than the gold. It looks beautiful. You'll be fine girl.

Cindy said...

ok, let's just say it, that last picture is totally funny... kitty looks to have a sort of dirty look on her face about having that hat on.. i'm just sayin, funny...

your deer and tree turned out gorgeous! i see what you mean about the little tree, there is something good about it that is hard to define...

cindy

Heirloom treasures said...

OOOh this a lovely project. I love the tree too. Please don't stress, I'm sure we all do the same,but really,if some things don't get done,so be it,it's not the end of the world. xx j

farmhouse-story said...

love your "new" deer, sandi! and your cute tree. and the pretty blue chair they are on. i see your fur baby is ready for xmas--too cute:_

Dee@FrenchBleuVintage said...

Wow! I just love how your tree and deer came out. The possibilities are endless with that spray glue:) Have a wonderful Thanksgiving. Dee

Peggy said...

Found your blog on the Bunny Hop - it's really lovely....I am a new follower. Hope you will drop by my blog too,
Peggy
http://repeartreedesign@blogspot.com

Dee ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ said...

Beautiful project! I love how the paint crackled.

Dee :-)

Jennifer @ Town and Country Living said...

I love your tree and deer! So sorry to hear about your favorite restaurant and hope the owners and employees will experience special blessings despite the unfortunate event. Thanks for visiting my blog. Have a happy Thanksgiving!

Unknown said...

Pretty!!! You have an eye for color! The deer and Tree look perfect there!!! And, I am totally with you about Target! Super fun post!

XO, Aimee from ItsOverflowing.com