Thursday, November 24, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving!

Well, Jerry is in bed. The boys are in front of the TV, Wyatt's playing a video game and Gage is watching. The girls are at Walmart at the Black Friday sale. I am sitting here at the computer reflecting on how long it will take me to do all the dishes. All is how it should be. It has been a Happy Thanksgiving!


 These pictures were taken before it all began. We were having a small thanksgiving this year--just my best friend Eileen and her son, and her fiancee who happens to be my brother in law, and our own family of course.  I was able to scoot a small table up to the larger table so the kids didn't have to be separated from "the big kids" because face it we are all kids at heart.  Eileen laughed at me with notes in the bowls for what goes where--but she's younger than me, she doesn't know what it is like to be older and forgetful. I would forget to make the stuffing or something if I didn't have a list to remind myself!
I rarely let a picture of myself be taken (because I feel younger than I look and I always think, who is that old woman?!) but Mom took this picture of my sister Wendy, myself and Eileen, when we brought my fattening mashed potatoes to my parents house for their dinner. It has become a tradition that I bring them mashed potatoes every year.
At one point I had to count--if there were more people or more dogs at our thankful celebration. Do you think we are dog lovers?!  Pictured here are Brooklynn, Dafney, Duke, Lacie, Daisy and Bella.  There did end up being more people--6 dogs and 9 people. These are a bunch of spoiled puppy dogs that is for sure! They were all perfect angels (I was kind of surprised!).
Then we began to fill the table with food.
Eileen made this Martha Stewart Mac and Cheese. I wanted to eat the whole thing! She let me keep the leftovers--it may be my favorite food ever.
Eileen even wrote down what this is called for me but I can't find where I put it! It is a sweet potato dish a little bit spicy with bacon on top. Delicious! Edited: Eileen told me where she wrote it--its called Smoky Chipotie Sweet potato Souffle--doesn't it even sound delicious?!
Janae made delicious deviled eggs!
Jerry smoked the turkey on the Traeger.  So good!
These are what our family calls "Aunt Eva's Rolls " They are a recipe from my Great Aunt Eva--who I never met, but they are a family tradition--we have them every holiday!  I think I'll go have another one right now...

 As you can see, my brother in law, Scott is a big Dallas Cowboys fan.

Bella wanted me to set a place setting for her!
After going through the ads the girls took off for Walmart just a couple blocks away. It is a huge Walmart with a even larger parking lot. Janae called me minutes after leaving and said she was coming home and wanted me to drive them back there and come pick them up later because there was no parking spot left. Sure enough--I dropped them off and it took me awhile just to get out of the parking lot. It has been a couple hours and they haven't called me to pick them up yet. Shopping insanity!
Edited to add this picture Janae sent me from her cell phone...
Tomorrow we go have a another thanksgiving meal at my Mother in laws house..more eating, but this time no work for me! Thanks for visiting my Thanksgiving post and hopefully everyone's Thanksgiving day was as satisfying as ours!

10 comments:

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

What a lovely family celebration for Thanksgiving. Love the photos and the doggies all look so dressed up and happy.

Now it's on to Christmas!

hugs
Sissie

Grandma Carolee said...

What a beautiful & delicious looking Thanksgiving in your new home!! I like how you put the tables together so the children would feel included. The photo of the dogs is adorable. The potatoes you gave us were absolutely delicious!

Renaissance Women said...

I loved the picture of all the doggies in the window! Thank you for sharing your Thanksgiving with us.

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

Looks like a wonderful Thanksgiving filled with love and family and pups too! Black Friday shopping is too crazy for me! I prefer to have all my Christmas shopping done before Thanksgiving....then I can just decorate and have fun.

G Inspires said...

Your table was beautiful and I loved how you put the kids table with the "big kids" table....why should the kids have to sit separately!? The puppies look like they were loving it too.

Kathy said...

Your family gathering reminds me of ours! We had a marvelous time - weren't able to shop - because we had to drive home. I think I'll do more online shopping this year - the nearest Walmart is about 30 minutes and the nearest mall about an hour. Hope you have a blessed week,
Kathy

Kathy said...

Forgot to mention the dogs! They're wonderful!
Happy family gathering,
Kathy

Karen said...

It looks like you had a wonderful Thanksgiving. Your table and home looked so pretty, love the colors. I make that Martha Mac n Cheese too,its the best right? my family loves it. I love it that you guys had almost as many dogs as people. They are adorable.

Jennifer @ Town and Country Living said...

I don't know what I like more ... the photos of the food or the photo of the dogs! They're so cute!
~Jennifer

The Howell Blessings said...

What a refreshing Thanksgiving table. Not the traditional fall colors, although I do love those, but I loved your table and colors. I hope your second dinner was more relaxing and less work for you. Happy Holidays!

Miss Mindy
The Howell Blessings