Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Grandma's Painting

Both of my Grandma's were talented painters. I have always wished I had inherited that ability but that gene seems to have skipped by me. Since I recently lost both of my Grandma's, I cherish the things I have of theirs more than ever. They are as different as any two Grandmas could be but I feel like I see myself in both of them.


This painting was done by my paternal Grandmother. She was such a fun woman. I remember her having a tea party for me once in this little outdoor room she had. She poured into our beautiful little teacups rootbeer and milk. It was delicious. She sat in the tiny little childs chair right next to my sister and I and seemed to enjoy the "tea" party just as much as we did.

She would have been very popular in our blogging world. She was flea market chic before it was so popular. Her front yard was always decorated with items that made it like a fantasy place to a child. Actually, even in my adult years I loved her whimsical yard. She had pet raccoons at one time, something I can imagine myself doing! She was very artistic. She had colorful glass bottles in the window and the light would shine through them and I wanted to grow up to be like her. And I did...except for the part about that I can't paint.


When I saw this painting my Grandmother had done I knew it would look perfect in my house. I was so happy my Dad was willing to let me have it. It looks like it was painted for my living room. Obviously, my Grandmother had a love for white too! Last summer I had white roses, daisys, and catmint is an arrangement on the mantle and realized I had almost recreated my Grandma's painting without even trying too. I can't wait until those same flowers are blooming in the garden this year. Until then I can just enjoy them in Grandma's painting.


Thanks for visiting!

18 comments:

Cindy said...

She sounds like an awesome, creative, fun grandmother. Her painting is gorgeous! I would have loved to meet her, sounds like my kind of lady! It's so great that you have that delightful creation of hers to view every day...

Cindy

Anonymous said...

Wow! What a grEAT frame!
Catherine

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

It does sound like your grandma would have been a great blogger. That is a beautiful painting. How wonderful to have one of her creations to cherish.

Melanie said...

What a wonderful tribute to your Grandma!! Those Grandma memories are so very special! You must have inehrited many of her talents. I love the story of the tea party!!! What a special memory! Thanks for sharing that story!
Love the painting and the frame!!

Kim Gillian said...

Beautiful painting and I love the frame. Have a great week.

-Kim :)

Marcy said...

Such a beautiful painting and what wonderful memories you have of your Grandmother! ~Marcy

The Polka Dot Closet said...

What a great painting!! How wonderful that you are now the keeper of it, I love the flower paintings!!

Carol

Bliss said...

I hope some day some of the junk I've made becomes a special heirloom for my grandkids, just because "gramma made it".

~Bliss~

foreverdecorating said...

She was such a talent. I know you treasure it as much as I treasure the things that my Grandma made.

Heirloom treasures said...

Sandy,a lovely post,beautiful painting and memories. I can relate so well to this as my Grandma was special too.
xx jeanetteann

cathy@home said...

What a lovely story I believe one of the most important things we have to do is make good memories.

Lady Pamela said...

What a beautiful story. I miss my grandma, too.

Pam Kessler said...

It sounds like your Grandma was a fun woman. Maybe your artistic abilities are going to come later in life. Wouldn't that be a hoot if you all of a sudden realized you could paint!

violi igłą malowane said...

Beautiful picture ..

Lucille said...

Grandma's painting is unique as are all things that Grandmas do!

Carol Ann said...

What a beautiful painting! I love the colors, too. You were so fortunate to have your Grandma's up until recently. Mine have been gone for several years, miss them and love them:) Great post!

Anonymous said...

Very beautiful painting

Tablescapes By Diane said...

Hi lovely lady.
Beautiful painting and I love the frame also. looks like your Grandma's had a eye for color also just Gorgeous.I hope you can come over and follow my new Linky and I will come follow you back.
XXOO Diane