Thursday, April 19, 2012

Charming Picket Fence

Picket Fences are so charming to me. I have always loved them. Even a run down house has a bit of charm if it has a picket fence. Before we found this house and I was looking online at houses..I saw the cute picket fence this house has and thought, "We need to go look at that one!". I have always been drawn to white picket fences.
 

I had some picket fence boards from our other house and decided to make a little project to bring some "outside in". I had my husband put the boards together in what I thought was a pleasing design.


Then thinking I would try something different I stained the fence boards before painting them white. My thought here was I could sand down the boards and have the stain show through.


Well, the idea was good. After sanding and sanding I went back to my tried and true favorite way to distress and used the finger method with Rub and Buff as shown here in another post. I guess you can't teach an old dog new tricks. My sweet son Wyatt said this morning he doesn't know why I even tried doing it a new way because my way makes so much more sense. Love that kid!


I think it looks great! I am thinking I could wire some small bottles on it and hang flowers--or hang a small banner. I am thinking it has potential!



I need to own stock in Rub N Buff or something--I love the stuff.

Still in love with my sweet little white lilacs---



Just can't get enough of them!


Chantel and I are off to Thrift City to find some treasures!

Thanks for visiting!

28 comments:

Kathy said...

Love the picket fence - it is so sweet and you've distressed it perfectly! I have the same little bubble flower vase - so sweet! Hope you have a great weekend,
Kathy

Pam Kessler said...

Your fence looks adorable underneath that window. I've never used Rub n Buff, but since you love it so much I'll have to try it next time I do a painting project.

LifeLessOrdinary said...

What a pretty little fence. I like how you distressed it. Your Wyatt sounds like my son, haha.

Julie said...

I love your picket fence! I need to steal your idea and find a place to use it. I just bought jars with wire handles from a garden accent store. You are supposed to use candles but I think it would nice on your fence with a little bouquet of flowers. I'll have to try it. ;) J

Janae said...

That little fence is so cute!! I love that vase Grandma Suzy got you!

Blooming Rose Musings said...

Your picket fence is so sweet and I really like how you painted and distressed it. I think your idea of of small bottles and flowers on the fence would be charming. We can never have too many flowers in the house!
Oh, sweet lilacs...how very beautiful.

Rose Garden Romantic said...

I adore picket fences! It's my dream to live in a charming old cottage surrounded by a garden and a picket fence! Love the one you have created and it's perfectly distressed!
Michelle

The Polka Dot Closet said...

The fence is so perfect especially under the window! I have never used rub and buff, but I know it is easier to stick with your tried and true methods!

Carol

Bella's Rose Cottage said...

Hi Sandy,
I love bringing the outdoors in and your charming picket fence is perfect! Your painting method is wonderful, tried and true :-)
Hugs,
Bella

SwedishCorner ~ DownUnder...Pernilla said...

So lovely! ... thanks for sharing :) Might borrow the idea as hubby liked your pics too. Woohoo lol

Visiting from Feathered Nest Friday
Greetings from Australia♥
~Pernilla

Heirloom treasures said...

Can I come too. You two have great finds and fun. Love the idea of the pickets. Love the little faux window above too.
xx

chateau chic said...

I love how you used your picket fence. Using outdoor decor inside is wonderful. Your cut flowers on the table are beautiful.
Mary Alice

Grandma Carolee said...

I love picket fences, too. Hanging flowers on it would be so pretty...I'll look for hanging vases when I go to garage sales. The lilacs in our yard haven't even started to blossom yet. Looking forward to finally seeing some sunshine & warmer temps. this weekend...that should help them blossom.

Clara said...

Good job! I love your picket fence. Have you ever seen the headboards that you can make with them? I saw a picture in a magazine years ago.
~Clara

Patti @ Pandoras Box said...

Really cute - these fences make me have the feeling of comfort and relaxation!

Miss Gracie's House said...

CUTE project! That's what I think...if it's not broken, don't fix it!
Rene'

Laurel Stephens said...

I think it's so sweet that a picket fence drew you to your home.

farmhouse-story said...

such a cute project, sandy! pretty flowers, too! have a great weekend!

Candy said...

So Pretty. I've got to try Rub N Buf. Where do you buy it?

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

Such pretty vignettes and I love the picket fence ~ it is charming!

Amy Chalmers said...

I love this so much Sandy, can I borrow this idea for my shop?

Anne said...

Sandy,
I love this idea.You found the perfect spot for it.I too have a fondness for picket fences.
Anne

Anonymous said...

Love your darling picket fence and those white lilacs!! My white lilac bloomed for the first time this year- only 1/2 dozen bunches but I was so excited to finally see some loveliness on the bush after 7 years!

Burlap Luxe said...

Hi Sandy,
I too am charmed by a great picket fence or a beat up rustic iron one :)
Its all so beautiful over here all in white and Tiffany!

Thank you for your beautiful visit to my place leaving a comment that encourages what I love doing, creating all things with passion.

Have a beautiful Sunday
Blessings
xx
~Dore

Sandi~A Cottage Muse said...

Oh I love this...great job!

Crane Farms said...

This turned out beautiful! I love that the pickets are different sizes!

carpetcleaningsydney said...

A fence is used for the same purpose a wall though: security.

White Picket Fence

Rebecca A. Maynard said...

ombolan burung pipit sedang asyik bermain-main di pagar pembatas ruko dengan sungai di sampingnya. Kuamati, mereka seperti cyclone fence