Thursday, September 22, 2011

My Glam Bath

When I first started this blog..you know way back like 3 weeks ago....I asked my kids what I should have as the subject of my first post. To my surprise both Wyatt and Chantel said, "Our bathroom". I couldn't believe it--in my immediate family I never get too many compliments on my decorating. (except from my oldest Janae) I think they don't want to do anything to encourage me. The more I decorate, the pickier I am about the house being clean, and everything being right where it is surpose to be--so tweens and husbands usually don't want to encourage the madness.  So anyway when they said the bathroom I was surprised because I thought I might have gone a little girly crazy in there. My son Wyatt said that it is girly but it is unique and nobody else has a bathroom like it so he thinks its cool. I so adore him. I didn't think a bathroom should be my first post..but now that I am up to like post #17 I decided its time to share the bathroom.   
 Our bathroom was a standard contractors bathroom..you know--large unframed mirror and beige floors and counters. I wanted to make it more unique yet do it on our "Kool-aid budget".  So I had seen a posting from an amazing blogger that me and about a million other people follow. mirror inspiration here
 I glued the frame of one of my many mirrors that I have picked up at Goodwill and garage sales over the years with a silicone I believe. I looked up on the internet that it is safe for the mirror underneath and that the mirror can be removed with acetone. Then I did what I had done on the mirror at our old house and I found at Goodwill this really long fabric drape. It was white and believe it or not I thought it needed some color.  I dyed it until it became the perfect blue I wanted in the bathroom and then with t-pins I stuck it up around the mirror in a fothy and flowing way. (okay maybe "fothy" isn't a word but you know what I mean)
I don't know why but I have always been charmed by Kewpie

This lavender brings back good memories of going to the lavender festival with my daughters last year.

This picture and night light are both from HomeGoods.  The blue in this picture is what I was going for when dying the swag.

Believe it or not I found this mirror at Goodwill for $2.99 and it was just a little dirty and I cleaned it and now I think its perfect! It is made out of a kind of ceremic plastery stuff--it is really pretty.


I bought this on ebay like 15 years ago before I became so thrifty.  I paid a lot for it but I love it so I guess I'm glad I did.  Notice the shower curtain--I so love it!  I don't know if you can see it very well but there are roses along the top and bottom. It is so so glam!


                  So that is our bathroom--it is actually the bathroom next to the kids room and the one that guests use.  Thanks for stopping by!                                                   

19 comments:

Bunny Jean said...

Ooohhh... SO pretty! I absolutely love the "mirror on the mirror". I have to say that you took some nice pictures showing great reflections in the mirror.

You have fashioned what is called a "Biships Sleeve" out of that GW curtain, and it is the perfect style to frame that mirror.

I know what you mean about how you can become when the house is all styled up... the family just wants to be comfortable while you want it to stay nice.

Thanks for sharing again at the Bunny Hop!

xoxo Bunny Jean
Wednesday Bunny Hop Party

Just Jaime said...

Very pretty frame!

Unknown said...

Your kids were right, this should be your first post :)
Loved the mirror frame on top of a mirror ( I wish I wasnt renting because I have the same wall mirror ) Loved the shower curtain well I loved everything

Latane Barton said...

So glad you let us take a tour of your bathroom. Not that I usually take tours of peoples bathrooms but from cyberspace I think it's just fine to see what others have done and believe me, you did a great job decorating that space. I loved it.

Susan said...

The mirror is gorgeous!

Honey at 2805 said...

I adore the froth and romance you have infused into your bathroom! I have a frame hanging over my mirror too ,but not nearly so beautiful as yours! It's just absolutely gorgeous!

Be sure to stop back by and enter the giveaway!

Thanks for linking to Potpourri Friday and helping to make it a success! I appreciate your participation!

Bohemian said...

A Lovely Bathroom, Romantic and with a touch of Whimsy! Had to smile at your comment about the more you decorate the pickier you get... I'm afraid I do the same thing much to the chagrin of the Crew here... *winks* But I figure by the time I get the last G-Kid raised I will have been raising Children for over 47 consecutive years... so I'm not waiting for empty nest syndrome in order to have my Dream Home! *LOL*

Blessings from the Arizona Desert... Dawn... The Bohemian

Ivy and Elephants said...

Love your gorgeous bathroom! It has just the right balance of glam and romance. The mirror is to die for. Thanks for giving us a peek.
Hugs,
Patti

~ ~ Ahrisha ~ ~ said...

Girly and Dreamy and Perfect! I love it. The mirror on the mirror is Genius.
~ ~Ahrisha~ ~

Amy Chalmers said...

All of the things you did to this bathroom are so pretty! The kewpies make it your own special touch!!

Ellen said...

What a sweet bathroom. I also love your daughters blog. I am now your newest follower. Keep posting.
Hugs,
Ellen

Cindy said...

Oh my goodness, your bathroom is WONDERFUL! I absolutely love your frame on the mirror trick, that is so clever, i have a builders grade mirror just like that, and i'm soooo gonna copy this idea. And, the pretty blue fabric is so perfect, it all looks like a magic mirror. The shower curtain is to die for too! I can't wait to look around at your other posts when i'm off of work!

Cindy

driftwoodesign said...

We all love those beautiful mirror frames, incuding me but what also caught my attention was the home goods art. I have the same one and its partner in my bathroom. Looking fabulous!
Kristy @ 4 the love of WOOD

Grandma Linda's Daydreams said...

Your bathroom looks gorgeous! The ornate mirror on the mirror background is a great idea and with the pretty soft blue curtain looks romantic! I like how you used the print for your inspiration!

Lennysredrose said...

Lovely, just totally lovely. I adore your clever ideas and style. The mirror on the mirror idea gives me inspiration to try to do something with my standard bathroom now. It is so similar to yours. I love all your stuff and have spent hours enjoying your Blog.

Thanks :)
LennysRedRose

Parisian Bijoux said...

I am jealous. I am going to go out and find that frame and try the same look. That is brilliant.

Nann said...

Sandy I LOVE what you did with your bathroom. It is just heavenly! So beautiful. Your blog is so peaceful and tranquil. I like when I come here. Its such a respite from the world.

Thanks for all your sweet comments on my blog posts. It means alot to me. I think you are a very talented and gentile lady who I greatly admire.

Hugs,

Nann

Julie said...

I love the frame on Mirror idea so very much. Thank you for the inspiration.

Julie x

Unknown said...

beautiful! I have that same picture up in my bath. The one that you matched the blue to. I have another one like it too...a set. Love them.