Wednesday, May 13, 2015

The Rescue of Dahlia

I am an animal lover.  I always have been my whole life. Recently Janae found a dog wandering in her neighborhood and she sent me this picture.


She said she was the sweetest dog. She was dirty, matted, and starving and Janae thought she was pretty young. Little did I know at this point she would become part of our family.

Janae started the process of finding her owner. She posted in the classifieds and found out that the dog lived just a few houses away from her. She lived in a tiny cage full of poop. Outside in the elements no less. Her nose was swollen and hairless from rubbing her nose on the cage. She was so skinny I guess they just didn't feed her.

where she lived
   Janae gave her a bath and she looked pretty pitiful...but so sweet. So not deserving the life she was living.


When Janae found this out she just wanted to hide her away. We realized we had to let the owners know we had her because that was the only legal thing to do. We decided to ask the owners if we could take ownership of her.

Janae already has 4 dogs which is the limit in our town so we decided she would be ours. I left a note on the owners door because they would never answer and they called me. They said they would not turn her over to us. They said they had bought her from a breeder in California and that she was a papered Poodle. They told me she was nine months old. I talked to them about the bad condition she was in and they said they worked a lot. I told them that was not excuse for starving her. They said she didn't eat much-but in our care she gained 2 pounds in a week. I told them I was going to take her to the shelter so her abuse could be documented and they could go get her there. I asked if had her licensed and they said that was none of my business. I let them know it would cost money for them to get her out but I didn't feel right handing her over any other way. They said that was fine and for me to please call them when she was there so she could go get her right away. I told her I would take her to the shelter on Monday morning.


She fit in so well with our family of dogs (Janae's and ours) that we all felt so bad she had to go back. I looked into it and there was really no legal thing we could do. I think they almost always give people a second chance to treat their pets right. It was heartbreaking. Janae still wanted to find a way to "lose" her or something so she didn't have to go back to the bad situation.


I guess our prayers worked because a few hours after the first time I talked to the owner she called me back and said she had talked her her husband and kids and her kids had said she deserved to be in a better home! They realized they were not home enough and didn't have what it takes to care for a little dog. They said we could have legal ownership of her. It was a happy day in our house!


Within a week the poor thing was shaved, spayed, shots, microchipped...she got the works. I am not so sure at that point if she thought being rescued was such a great idea.
She went from looking like this...


To looking like this...


She was not a big fan of wearing the cone. :(






Our other dogs kept hoping she would go back home with Janae...like most new dogs in our family do.


Daisy seemed extra jealous but I just try to give her extra attention.

We decided to name our new family member Dahlia. All our female dogs are named after flowers and all our dogs names start with a D.


Dahlia's life has changed big time. She went from being caged to being a dog on the go.

She loves to go on car rides...sometimes using a sleeping Ninja Turtle as a stepping stool :)


She recently walked 2.5 miles in the Portland Doggie Dash to raise money for the Oregon Humane Society. That was a big deal because about a month ago she didn't even walk that well.



She is a happy girl living a happy life and we are the lucky family who gets to love her! As much as I don't like how the previous owners treated her I am thankful they were good enough to give her to us and realize she deserved better. Her nose is healing up now, and her hair is coming in and before you know it she will look like a pampered poodle!


Thanks for visiting!

35 comments:

Barb said...

Sandy,

This brought tears to my eyes...I am also an animal lover and it makes my heart hurt to see animals abused and not taken care of.

God bless you for taking this little darling in. May you know many years of blessings together.

Barb

Grandma Carolee said...

I'm so glad you were able to keep Dahlia. She is a delightful, beautiful pup, and blessed to live with you now.

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

What a sweet story. Dahlia is a lucky girl.

Junkchiccottage said...

Oh Sandy this just made me cry. So glad you are giving her such a good home. Those people that take on dogs and do not have time to be with them should not be allowed to adopt them. Poor thing. So happy they came to the conclusion to let you have this sweet little one. She could not have a better home and family. Love your sweet post today. Did my heart good to hear how this heart breaking story turned out so good. Dahlia is adorable and looks so much better already in just the short time you have had her. God bless you my friend.
Kris

JP said...

Oh, Dahlia is one lucky, lucky dog! She must be so much happier now that she is living with you. Congrats on a new baby to love!
JP

GARAGE SALE GAL said...

Happy for both of you!!! She is a sweetie and can now have a happy life!
warmly,
deb

Ana said...

Dahlia is one very sweet and very lucky doggie. She couldn't have ended up with a more loving and caring family. What a happily ever after :-)

Hugs,
❤️Ana

Jasper's Cottage said...

What a wonderful story and a happy life for little Dahlia! This blog post made me very, very happy.
jonni

Debby said...

what a wonderful story. So glad that she was rescued. Poor baby. A similar thing happened near me but the dog was tied on a short chain in the woods. Someone let her loose. They thought she belonged to a homeless man. Legally that had to take her back to that tree. So glad your story has a happy ending. Love the picture of her sleeping. We have a rescue as well. What big hearts our dogs can have.

Betty said...

I'm so glad she has a good forever home.

Mary@mydogsmygardenandmary said...

Oh how sad to treat that darling little dog so bad. She is darling and she is so pretty. I know that she feel so loved.
I am a dog lover and of course I love any animal and could never treat them that way. Shame on them.
So glad that you gave her a wonderful loving home.
Mary

Twinkle Terrior said...

Yall are one of my fave families in the whole wide world! THANK GOD that Dahlia has you all.... Im glad the family turned her over, but i agree with Janae...you would have had to "lose-her" so she would not have to go back to a horrible life! God bless you and your family and the fur-babies family members <3 oxoxo

Anne's Attic - Design said...

You are truly a very generous person to go through all of what you did to get the tiny tog. May she live in peace with you for many years. Jo

http://deezie-sunshinedeezines.blogspot.com/ said...

This made me cry! what a sweet puppy you have now. She is so lucky you fought for her. She will have the best life now. So happy for you all!

Sherry Hicks said...

I am/o happy that Janae found her and she is getting a second chance to enjoy life!!!

DownTheLaneWithDaisy said...

Good for you! Animal abuse is so horrible. Thank goodness you went the extra mile for her. I love all their cute outfits!

Celestina Marie said...

Oh what a wonderful story of love and care for such a sweetheart. So glad you got to keep her and give her a home with you. Love the pics and it is easy to see she is doing well under your care.
God Bless you and your big heart.
Hugs, CM

Cynthia said...

Oh my gosh, oh my gosh!!! I am so happy for Dahlia! She found the best family to be with, and she looks SO happy! I was crying while reading your story of how her life was before. We have a rescue dog; actually, it was one of our son's who rescued him. When our son died 2 years ago, we became Leo's family. He has brought us such JOY! And he goes to work with us every day so he's ALWAYS with us, and we wouldn't have it any other way. Oh, Dahlia is so luck to be with your family. Hugs to you and your daughter!

lilalee at fou fou lulu's said...

so happy for both her and you. I am sure her puppy dreams are now full of love and pampering. Bless your heart!

Fran said...

I could never get tired of hearing her story. I know in my heart that God is the one who got her out of that cage and into Janae's path. Thank you again for standing up to those people and giving Dahlia a better life. A lot of people would have backed down and handed her over. She is a lucky pup to have such a wonderful family now.

Marissa said...

Shame on her previous owners..
NO EXCUSE..
So glad she ended up with you.
God is good. and knew she needed a good family.
Enjoy her and give her lots of hugs...

aarond said...

Love you for this. I would have done the same thing but I would not have been so nice to the owners as you were. They would have regretted the day they met me. Anyway I am so glad she found her forever home with you. Our two little ones are rescues also. Check out my blog to see them.

Patricia said...

Sandy, I've been following "For the Love of White" for however long you've been posting. Love your decorating posts, but also love your family, both human and furry. So happy you were able to rescue Dahlia and give her the loving home and extended family she so deserves. I especially loved the pic of her dressed in pink and white, sleeping like the baby she is. Adorable.

Patricia Wilson
Columbia, CT




June said...

She's a sweetie Sandy!She must feel like a princess at your house. She fits right in!

Working couples would have difficult time raising a new dog, I'm sure. Maybe they should opt for a kitty if their children want a pet. Cat's are so much more independent at home alone and wouldn't need to be in a pet crate all day. Little Dahlia needs much more attention :)
hugs from here...

lala said...

You and your family are absolutely amazing!!!! This little sweetie has no idea that her future is going to be one where she is loved and spoiled.

Celestina Marie said...

Stopping back by to say hello and such a joy to see this little sweetie again.
Thanks for always dropping in to visit and leave such nice comments.
Have a blessed day and wonderful week ahead.
Hugs, CM

thompsontammy6463@gmail.com said...

Sandy, I cried when I read the story. I am such an animal person !! My little sable Pom, Woody(age15) crossed the Rainbow Bridge April 1st, soooo hard. My kid's bought me a white Pom pup, Yogi, a week and a half later. It was in the planning stage's before I lost Woody, they knew my heart would be broken.
I have a neighbor who has a Pitbull, Bulldog and a new one year old lab. We live on the edge of town and if they tie those dog's out once a day , that's a lot and it's a very small home, disgusting .
Miss your post's, lovvvve, your painted furniture and am sure your getting ready for Janae's wedding . I have a request, the recipe for your cucumber salad !!! We loved it , even my 17 yr old son. I remember soaking the cuke's in vinegar and dill with the sour cream ??? Would you please email me the recipe, I know it was simple but ohhhh sooooo good !!!! Don't work too hard, yeah right ?!?! Thank you !!!! Tammy
thompsontammy6463@gmail.com

Curtains in My Tree said...


OH I am so glad the story ended well for the sweet puppy.
It just breaks my heart to see a dog or cat mistreated.
I will be adopting a sweet little dog after my next trip.
I feel bad of getting a doggy then boarding it while i'm away.
I have an adopted cat now LOL
Dahlia is a lucky litle girl

michele said...

Oh bless you. This made me cry. You are wonderful people (dog people are!) for rescuing her. I love happy dog story endings!

bobbie said...

Bless you for rescuing her ~ she is adorable!!

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Sandy, stopping by again to say hello and so nice to see your little darling once again. Just precious! Wishing you a Happy 4th of July.
Hugs, cm

Cocoanlace said...

I am so glad it worked out that you got to keep this little dog! I was keeping my fingers crossed as I read your story. I was immediately reminded of a recent story here in Los Angeles. It's about a similar white dog who was being kept in a carrier 24/7 outside, heat or wind, night and day. Neighbors noticed the poor dog and sneaked food to it, sometimes, water, too. When the carrier was filled with excrement, the dog owner washed it out with the water hose, with the poor dog inside. They heard the dog yelping and knew it was being hit. They called Animal Control. When AC visited, the dog was not bleeding or bruised and the owner professed to love it and to feed it. So they left the dog there. Neighbors watched the abuse for several weeks again. Animal Control was called once more. They would not come out. Finally, someone called a rescue gal I know of names Jenny. This rescue gal and her associate, Shannah, decided to remove the dog on their own because dealing with the owner wasn't working. He spoke little English and was uncooperative, declining their help. They took the dog, were later caught, and were arrested! Their trial will be scheduled soon. The little dog was returned to its owner, and as far as anybody knows, is still suffering abuse. I am so glad you were able to change this dog's life. Not all dogs get away from their abusers.

Jenna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Donna said...

Oh my gosh, Sandy, I was in tears and on the edge of my seat reading this post, especially after the owners originally said you could not have this precious pup. I am SO happy! You and Janae are angels, and I wish every homeless/abused/neglected dog had a Sandy and Janae in their lives. God bless you both! I also LOVED the shower and sneak peek at the wedding. What a beautiful day! So much love in your family!
Donna

Unknown said...

What a beautiful story! You and your family has such beautiful hearts!

xoxo
Alyssa