Thursday, October 27, 2011

Chalk Paint Coffee Table Project

I recently decided to change up my coffee table and I am so happy with the results! It has been about 3 years ago that I got this Ethan Allen coffee table at Goodwill for $15 and painted it white. Now I decided to add a bit of color to it with a paint I mixed and then do a lace treatment on it. I love it!
I mixed this blue color by mixing a sample of Martha's Aegean Blue and Valspar's Glass Green..then I added about a cup or two (I just eyeball it and try to do about 1/3) of Plaster of Paris.  I have been mixing the Plaster of Paris into my paint for about the last 2 weeks and I am so happy with the results! I have never used "real" chalk paint and so I don't have a way to compare..but my homemade chalk paint has a great texture and adheres beautifully.  I think it gives a thicker look than regular paint and has a more old look about it. Hard to explain.  I plan to keep doing this to my paint because I can't afford to buy the real stuff.  Someday I would like to get some just to see the difference though.
This is a paint sample I got  in the mistake section and made some chalk paint for a chair


Normally of course I have the drawers turned towards the couch but I wanted to show them off so turned it this way for the pictures.  One of the things I love about this coffee table is those drawers. The kids have one drawer for game controllers and stuff and I have one for dog brushes, nail files, all the little stuff you like to have on hand when watching TV.
Though it is a little hard to see in the photos I did a light spray over the lace this time..on the stool I did a couple coats. Also this lace is more delicate and I am really pleased how it turned out. I am going to put Varathane on it I think because the coffee table gets a lot of abuse. Normally I just put clear wax over it.  I may do a little distressing too..haven't decided yet.
If you didn't see my original post on the lace technique it is here Lace Technique
If anyone wants to try this and has questions feel free to e-mail me or leave a question in the comments and I'll get back to you. It is a really fun technique--my husband even thinks its cool (I'm lucky that way) and I would love to see other peoples results if they try it.
Thanks for stopping by my blog!

18 comments:

Ashley said...

i just wanted to let you know that i am working on a project with the mixed paint...i used plaster of paris too...i like the results...my experience is that its not as smooth going on...i like the way it sands though...very similar to annie sloan...but cheaper!! i have also mixed some spackle to my paint...it worked ok too...i love your blog and your daughters...the white is awesome!!

Honey at 2805 said...

Thanks for all the informationa about your version of chalk paint. The lace technique is very pretty too!

Thank you for participating in Potpourri Friday. Many thanks!

Myric said...

I fell in love with it! That is sooo pretty! Great job!

xoxo
Myric

Gayle Page-Robak said...

Your table looks fabulous...and so beautiful with your couch. Love the color combination. I have joined your followers list and invite you to join my followers list; as well,I hope you will grab a blog button. Hugs, Gayle
http://atastefultouch.blogspot.com

Deborah March said...

BEAUTIFULLY done! I've tried knock off chalk paint with Calcium Carbonate, but haven't tried it with Plaster of Paris yet. Must give it a whirl!

Deborah (visiting happily from http://upcyclingmylife.blogspot.com...hope you'll visit too...)

time worn interiors said...

I've been using the plaster of paris in my paint lately as well and I love it! Your table turned out great!
tot

Joy@aVintageGreen said...

Always very informative to read and see how other 'painters of furniture' are making their own chalk paint. I would like to link this post to my future post of alternative chalk paint bloggers and their experiences. Hope you don't mind.
- Joy

Cheryl ~ ZanyMayd said...

That table is absolutely Beautiful.... I can't believe you made your own chalk paint, will have to give this a try, now I am off to see that Yummy recipe for the Pumpkin pie.... Thanks for Sharing!
Cheryl

Anonymous said...

I love it! You did am amazing job on this table! I love the use of the DIY chalk paint! I've only used Calcium Carbonate; I have to try this! Thanks for sharing this!

Ivy and Elephants said...

The table is gorgeous! So unique with the turquoise color and lace treatment. Thanks for the tip!
Hugs,
Patti

Static-Rapture said...

What a beautiful table! I followed the link from Between Naps on the Porch, and I am SOO glad I did! This is so fresh and beautiful.

Farah said...

It is absolutely beautiful... what nice and soft colour you used for the project...I never tried it but your is inspiration ...thanks a lot for sharing...I am gonna your newest follower ...
Happy if you come to see me at
http://craftaworld.blogspot.com/
with love from
Farah

Sharon, aka Bootersmom03 said...

Love the color! Great that you could make your own chalk paint...I need to try that too!

Carey said...

I've just recently come across your blog and I'm lovin' it! I never would have thought of the homemade chalk paint combination you're doing but I have a pkg of Plaster of Paris just waiting to be used.

Visiting from - freshlickofpaint.blogspot.com

Sweet Melanie said...

Sandy, do you seal your chalk paint with a wax? I know you know I've tried the chalk paint with the unsanded grout and have used the minwax, but it about knocks me out with the fumes even out in the open. Just trying to figure out something else so that I wouldn't have to seal.

Unknown said...

Very informative post! There is a lot of information here that can help any business get started with a successful social networking campaign!

Vægur

شركة تنظيف في ابوظبي | المعمار الراقي | لخدمات التنظيف said...

"https://uae4services.com

شركة تنظيف في ابوظبي | المعمار الراقي | لخدمات التنظيف said...


صباغ في دبي

صباغ دبي