Monday, January 14, 2013

Chippy Paint Experiments

I told myself I couldn't do any projects until the Christmas decorations were put away but after getting the mantle and tree put away I decided I deserved a little creative time. I have been really wanting to create a chippy paint look to my fence board projects.


I posted the other day about the old fence board table runner and box that my husband was nice enough to make for me...


I wanted to give it a little white chippy paint..kinda beachy look. I wasn't sure exactly what to do but thought I would try milk paint.


Well, I liked the milk paint--but don't think this was the right paint for the project. I realized after researching it more that milk paint really shines when using it on a shiny finish--that is when it distresses naturally. These old fence boards totally soak up the paint. So I looked online and decided to try the Vaseline method.

So I smeared some Vaseline around on the wood.
Then I painted the milk paint on..
As it dried I cold see where the Vaseline part was crackling...
After the paint was dry I took a paper towel and just wiped off the paint where the Vaseline was.
After wiping it off though I realized it was too stripy...and part of the reason was because as I brushed on the paint it kind of made the stripes. So I used my finger and fixed it best I could..and it looks so much better. 
 
 With my favorite ruffled runner on it I thought it looked quite beachy pretty!
 
 So I thought about it and realized the best thing to do would be use the Vaseline and then spray paint over it. Then I wouldn't be "dragging" the Vaseline with the paint brush. Gotta love good ole spray paint!
 
 
The box turned out just like I wanted it too! I really like the Vaseline and spray paint technique. Now I want my husband to make me another box, a little smaller, because I have some ideas to make it really shabby chic pretty. Stay tuned! I know this very distressed look isn't for everyone, but I really love it on at least a few items in my house. It looks like it has a story to tell--which I am sure these old fence boards could tell many stories!

So I was quite satisfied with myself with my chippy project. That gave me the urge to clean the carpets because when I have something new and pretty I like the house to be all spotlessly clean around it.

The boys piled on the couch, along with the dogs and a bunch of blankets while I shampooed the carpets.

As I usually always do I had extra children this weekend. Chantel's friend Alyshea was our guest. The girls did "Just Dance" for over 3 hours. If I just had their energy I would be skinny!

Well--I guess I should get back to organizing/putting away the Christmas decorations...the chippy paint thing was just so much more fun :) I look forward to working with Milk Paint again as I found it to be easy to mix and I think on the right project it would be perfect! My cousin Trinity took a milk paint class this weekend and I think it would have been so fun if we could have taken that class together! She lives in California but I am thinking she should move to Oregon. :)

I hope everyone had fun and creative weekends!
Thanks for visiting!

20 comments:

Janae said...

The board and box turned our great. I usually am more chic than shabby in my taste but I really really like it! I want one! Tell dad to make me one lol! I like that you think spraying it work better because you know I prefer to spray! The fake roses you have look so real in these pictures it looks gorgeous!

Sassy Southern Lady said...

Thanks for all the tips. Now I will know for future projects. It turned out great!

Grandma Carolee said...

Enjoyed this post so much. The boys & pets looked cute on the couch, and the dancing girls are adorable. I really like how the board turned out.

Unknown said...

Hi Sandy,
I love how your project turned out, and it was so nice of your hubby to put that box together for you. I adore your ruffled runner, you sure are good with a needle and thread! Have a good day..

sunnyskiesandsweettea said...

It turned out so good! I love it with the runner.... It looks like your kids have so much fun at your house....

Blessings,
Amy Jo

Lucille said...

Lovely project, Sandy! You sure are one busy lady! I love your house and your taste in decor!

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

Nice job, Sandy. You know how I love a distressed finish. You always create such beautiful vignettes.

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

An interesting technique that turned out so pretty!

June said...

Your project turned out awesome Sandy! You will be able to do so many things with that centerpiece.
I love the photos of the boys just hangin' out on the sofa while you worked away on the carpets : )
sending hugs...

Cindy said...

I'm with you, i thing a few rough, chippy pieces look so great with all the fluff. Yours turned out great! It really looks perfectly beachy. Soo cute seeing everyone piled on the sofa too!

Cindy

farmhouse-story said...

the sofa looks warm and cozy! i've never tried the vaseline paint trick, but, yours looks weathered and worn!

Anne said...

Sandy that turned out great! I know not the first time around but still.Sometime you have to play around a bit and see what works.You did it and it looks so pretty on your table.LOVE that sweet runner too!Shhhhh don't tell anyone I am still taking some Christmas things down ;-)
xx
Anne

lashawnmontoya said...

Trin told me she was taking a painting class, but didn't realize it was about milk painting! Very cool- I am eager to see what she paints ( I think she was doing some furniture?)- my crafty family makes me happy:)

The Polka Dot Closet said...

I think with all of your trial and error, it turned out perfect!!! Yep, that's why those girls are so skinny!!

Carol

Bella's Rose Cottage said...

Hi Sandy,
Nice job, Spray paint, now that is nice and easy!! Love that ruffled runner:-)
Hugs,
Bella

Sherry Hicks said...

love the pics of the boys and dogs all on the couch and your girls dancing away, so often we have pics of our houses showing them off but it is the family enjoying the house that makes it a home!!! Thanks for sharing your lovely family and the coolest dog ever on the left!!

Junkchiccottage said...

Sandy,
The box and the runner look really great. I love all the chippiness of both of the pieces. I am going to give the milk paint a try. Thanks for the tips.
Kris

Nann said...

Love love love your chippy paint projects. They look terrific. But I especially love the photos of the kids! You have such a special family! N.

Barbara Jean said...

Love how your box turned out with the Vaseline/spray paint method. been wanting to try that myself.

and I have 3 sections of fence I can play with!!

fun. loving my visit here.

blessings
barb

jhon said...

a try here in my new garden, although my clay soil is probably not ideal. Some plum, pink and white coloured ones will look lovely. Thanks for a great post with stunning photos as always :-)driveway gates