Thursday, July 31, 2014

Stenciling a Damask Wall

It has been a few years ago now that I did my first stenciled wall. I had won thru another blogger a gift certificate to Cutting Edge. I was just delighted with the stencil and loved how it turned out!

You can find the post for this wall here

So when Chantel decided to re-paint her room she thought it might be a good idea for me to stencil a wall for her.


She painted her room in Regal purple. She paid for the paint herself and painted it all herself too. She is a very independent 15 year old. I really like it--looks very young adult to me.
The color looks very much like the hair color she recently had.

She knows how much work it is to stencil a wall...and that I am a night owl. So she decided she should go camping with a friend while I stenciled her wall.

So while she went off to have fun I was stenciling.


It is a long process since I like to let the stencil dry between each stencil as to not make a mess. I am a perfectionist and you have to embrace imperfection with stenciling. If you ever want to finish anyway! :)

 I used acrylic craft paint in white and I thought it looks so beautiful on the purple! Very dramatic.

Sophia was my assistant. I was so worried she would get cat paw prints in Chantel's room. My nickname for Chantel is "Miss Picky Pants" so I knew Sophia better not make any messes!


It is a slow process but it is kind of fun when you see how pretty it is going to look.

 I used a foam roller for smooth surfaces when I stencil.

 To keep things level I use a level that hangs on the stencil--love it!


My stenciling assistant was quite the step stool hog.


Then she got darn right lazy.


The hardest part of stenciling is doing the edges or any place where you have to do a partial stencil. Going around the window was not a load of fun. I do think all the work is worth it though because I love the look.

The first time Chantel saw her room it looked like this...


Janae helped her and they painted it to be more to her liking...


She made her room her just perfect for a 12 year old girl.


Now that she is almost 16, Chantel has grown up so much in this bedroom. Her bedroom has grown up too. I am so happy she has made it what she likes.





Because that is what makes a house a home!

Thanks for visiting!

22 comments:

Ellie said...

Very pretty, Sandy. I have stenciled my entire dining room before - it is neck breaking work. This is perfect for a teen!

Debby said...

It's beautiful. So much work. I used to do borders. I could never do a whole wall.

ShabbyESP said...

Her room looks so classy!!! Love it!!!
Suzann ~XOXO~

Janae said...

You are such a good Mom! Chantels room looks amazing! You know I am I lover of pastel colors but I still really love her room. It's very glamorous just like she is <3

Junkchiccottage said...

So pretty Sandy. You are the best mom to do this for Chantel. I know she will love it. Great job.
Kris

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

I love that pattern. You did a fab job.

June said...

Chantel is going to love it Sandy! It looks perfect! What a lot of hard work for you...but that's what moms do huh???
sending hugs...

Unknown said...

Wow! So pretty. I'm a huge fan of everything used in the room. Damask, purple, black and white. This is LOVE!
Dropping by from Show and Tell Friday. :)

Heirloom treasures said...

Sandy it is stunningly beautiful. I love love love it.

Grandma Carolee said...

Your stencil work is absolutely amazing!! The room looks elegant and beautiful! I love how you did this post, showing Chantel's room at the different stages and how it has "grown up" with her.

Cindy The Victorian Journey said...

Beautiful as all your projects are.

farmhouse-story said...

your stenciled wall is stunning, sandy! loved seeing the different looks she's had in the past:) happy weekend!

Gentle Joy said...

Beautiful!!! A lot of work, but it turned out so nice.... both walls... love the first color combo also. Thank you for sharing this. :)

Anonymous said...

Wow, this looks fabulous, Sandy! I love this stencil! Chantelle's room is gorgeous! I love seeing her personality in her room!

sunnyskiesandsweettea said...

That is beautiful! She has great taste. I love the black and purple.

Blessings,
Amy Jo

Anonymous said...

That looks like a lot of work but it sure came out gorgeous! A work to be proud of!

Ivy and Elephants said...

LOVE the gorgeous pattern! So very elegant and old world. She has very sophisticated taste. Great job by you!
Hugs,
Patti

must love junk said...

This turned out great! :)
Susan

Rosemary and Thyme said...

Wow, that turned out gorgeous but it looks like it was lots of work. I am sure it was all worth it. Great job.

Janet

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Dramatic, elegant and glam are all words that come to mind seeing Chantel's new look for her room, Sandy! You did a great job with the stenciling.

Karen said...

Hi Sandy,
I love the stencil transformation! You are so very talented. It is so much work! Both of your daughters must be thrilled with their gorgeous bedrooms! (My 20 year old daughter has the same comforter set - exactly and loves it!) Take care! Karen

Unknown said...

I'm curious, do you use a stencil adhesive? I always have paint bleed under my stencils and it drives me crazy!!